All right guys, many of you asked how you can help, so here's how.
The Chapman H.S. athletic coaches are sponsoring two separate golf tournaments on Saturday, July 19 in Chapman. One is an 8 a.m. start and the other is a 6 p.m. start with night golf on the back nine (glow balls and necklaces provided...yes, we do expect a lawsuit over the deal). All of the other information is on the flyer that I provided below, or you can visit our website at the address below.
Here's how you can help us:
1. Come and play! The Holiday Inn Express in Abilene has given us special rates of $70/night for singles or $96/night for suites for either Friday or Saturday night. There's also a Bed & Breakfast about one block from us that I would assume be up and running by then. We would offer you our beds, but they will already be taken up by family members.
2. If you can't play, then donate money to the cause. Nichole thinks I'm crazy (and maybe I am), but my goal is to raise $10,000 for these families. Go to the website to find out where to send the money.
3. Donate prizes. We will be having hole prizes and raffle drawings for both tournaments, so we need a lot of items. These can be anything from gift certificates to golf bags, but they don’t have to be golf related. Tools, clothes, sports memorabilia, whatever. If you have connections, I'll take them. You can mail smaller items to me or we could pick up larger items if you want.
4. Be a hole sponsor. If your business (or a business you know) is interested in having your name on a hole, let me know. We are asking $100.
5. Spread the word. We want to fill up all 18 slots for both tournaments.
Although I don't know an official count, we can think of five USD 473 staff families as of right now who have literally lost EVERYTHING. Some have had good luck with insurance, but others are really going to struggle with the money they're getting. This is a great way for you to help them. $10,000 is a lot of money, but I have seen firsthand how giving people are.
Let me know if you have questions, and thanks in advance for the help. Here's the website and flyer.